This stone is in memory of the sailors who were lost off the ship ‘The Sydney’ on 16th October 1870. The ship, a barque, was transporting a cargo of timber from Quebex, Canada to Greenock, Scotland. It sank during a fierce gale, after being forced into the area known as ‘Camas Binne’ and striking the rock ‘Bullg Sydney’ located due sourth-west from Port. Out of a crew of twenty one, only two survived. Four of the crew are buried at this spot.
See the other side of the monument here.